Friday, May 2, 2014

Thing # 18: Social Networking


I signed up for a Twitter account!!! I never thought I would have a need to do so. This class is yet again getting me out of my comfort zone. Using hashtags to find some related areas of interest took some time to get used to.  Many of the hashtags I tried did not work or have many followers, so I tried others.  Wait a minute. . . . .  I stand corrected .  I did end up finding hashtags that worked after all.  I had a low tech moment everyone.  Bear with me.

I can see how it can be important for teachers to understand social networking.  It  can be great way to follow others who may have information about job searching. Plus, there's a wealth of current information on professional development opportunities, which will keep your teaching skills current and in demand.  I recognized that Twitter is just like leaving a post-it message for someone. It is brief and to the point and kind of impersonal.  Here's one thing that I did not like about the hashtag search.  When I found one that was of interest and clicked to see more of the feed (Is that what you call it?) or content, it felt like I was walking in on a conversation that had been going on for hours and had no clue what was being discussed.  I felt like I had to go back as far as possible and try to find the start of the  conversation.  In my opinion, that seemed exhausting. 

As far as trying to think of a classroom or school application of Twitter, I will be against it.  Since we now live in a TEXTING & HASHTAG WORLD, the children of this generation are more accustomed to communicating in text and/or hashtag language that their writing skills have become sloppy and haphazard.  I see no reason, in the time being, to support a communication fad that badgers language in such a way.  Am I being too old school and stubborn in my thoughts? What do you think?     

On another note, my seventeen year old daughter was impressed when I told her I was on Twitter now.  I regained some of my cool points with her.  I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment