Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Thing #14: Going with the Flow


I chose to open accounts with Gliffy and Mindmeister.  Flowchart.com was quickly ruled out due the wait time for an invite.  I just did not feel like waiting for an invite to access a website, especially when there are other websites I could use.  Mind maps and flowcharts differ in how they can be used.  Mind maps can be used as a brain storming tool, where you are trying to come up with as many related ideas as possible.  It is more useful for a person to clarify their ideas.  From what I understand, flow charts can be used to explain the process of how to do something for the benefit of a group or, for our purposes, our current or future classrooms.

I guess I could use the mind map to set up a plan for one of my projects. I just don't see myself doing that at the moment.

As a child, I do not recall my teachers placing a lot of emphasis on using mind maps to organize our thoughts.  Flow charts were not even mentioned.  With that said, I can see myself using mind maps to help students brain storm ideas for projects and such.  I have found after a lot of reflection that flow charts can be useful in visually presenting SOPs for classroom management.  Here is my test flow chart on how students can find out about assignments. Keep in mind that this is meant for middle school students. Let me know what you think.




No comments:

Post a Comment