Saturday, April 12, 2014

Thing #15: Wiki World

I will say that I am/ was one of those people who did not trust any Wikipedia like sources. To me, it was pointless to go on a site to get information that could be changed the next time you access the same topic. I did not see why I should bother with such a source when anybody can change it and not be qualified to do so. I knew the information could be edited, but in my mind it would be a constant battle and exhausting.

Well, after this wiki experience, I can say that I see the advantages. The knowledge gained from the wiki world has opened my eyes to how it can be used.  I am still a little pensive about it.  But, I can see myself using a classroom wiki for students to post some assignments that their peers can comment on and learn from each other and for parents to get a glimpse of our progress.  I like how the Westwood Schools Computer Science wiki was only editable by the teacher and students and the public could view it. That would be how I would set up my classroom wiki.

As for the apsu23thingssandbox, I had no problem opening an account and logging on. I did have trouble inserting my screen shots though. It was frustrating, but I figured  it out. It is just a matter of jumping in and figuring out how I could do certain things. Before I introduce this type of tool to my students I will make sure I can do everything they are expected to so I can guide them. Otherwise, it would waste precious class time trying to figure out the kinks to an application.

No comments:

Post a Comment