Monday, February 17, 2014

Thing #6: Discovering Web 2.0 Tools I am.


After what seemed like an endless search on the Go2Web2.0 site, I finally found a website which appealed to me and would benefit my future students.  It is called Forvo, the pronunciation dictionary. It can be found by clicking on this link http://www.forvo.com/

I immediately became excited when I opened Forvo. It allows you to select how to pronounce words from over ninety different languages. Plus, you can participate in the site by submitting a request for a word to be pronounced, pronouncing a requested word, or becoming an editor. To do pronounce a word for the site, you must register. How awesome is that for a Spanish teacher, or any foreign language teacher?!! 

This is a great resource for foreign language students to listen to words in the target language and practice them for themselves. I think this is a great application to use in a library, classroom, and home setting. On Forvo, there is the capability for registered users to create their own list of favorite pronounced words. I think could create lists for several categories of words and have students log in somehow and pronounce a certain number of words each and also have them add a few words of their own in a few categories. By doing this, it will help students practice speaking orally and hopefully give them more confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment